Tags

, , , , , , , , ,

It’s amazing that sometimes it seems to take forever to finish a project and then suddenly you are able to churn out a couple more within the space of a day or so. This is what happened to me over the past couple of days – I feel as though I have spent forever knitting Alex’s new Hufflepuff scarf, and I finished Tuesday night I think – and I wanted to blog about it right there and then, but I also wanted my bed and sleep much more, and that won out over everything else. Today I feel that my bed is very important, and cannot wait to go to sleep, but I am in the mood to write this first.

Rolled up nicely

Alex had knee surgery on Sunday, so I was able to use the spare time to make more progress on his scarf. I used a pattern from Ravelry to knit a crest into the next to bottom panel of the scarf – which would have been fine – I copied it into my sketch book and worked from it – but it wasn’t until I was half way through that I realised that I was knitting it upside down, so instead of the crest looking outward, it is facing Alex’s face. Surprisingly I am not as annoyed by this as I thought I would be, I sort of saw it as a simple learning curve rather than ripping back. I was reading the pattern right to left as per normal, but bottom up rather than top down which was needed in this case. Good thing I wasn’t doing letters!

Upside down crest

Over all though, I am very pleased with how this turned out, and as mentioned, there is the learning curve from the pattern, so when I knit the Slytherin one next I know what to do better. I also have an embroidered house crest, courtesy of Amazon, for each of the scarves I am making, so will be able to add that touch to the scarves.

I was planning on giving the scarf to Alex today, but considering I haven’t been feeling well these past few days I decided to spend my day off with my mum, and recuperating a bit. We went out this morning, and once again I returned home with yet more yarn. [Hello, my name is Kialtho, and I am a yarn addict]. Also, the embroidered crests only turned up today, so I really ought to sew that on before I hand it over.

As I had finished the scarf a few days ago I decided to make a new Laced Mitt, something that I had made back in the summer, as my original right hand mitt had started to unravel, so a replacement to that was churned out in a night. I was really pleased with this to be honest, with the original project I was new to the concept of knitted on DPNs, and so for some reason, the right mitt which was knitted second came out loose at the change over in the needles, but this time it has come out pretty good. Except for my casting off. Seriously, my cast of in rib – which was okay on the first set of gloves, and a few other items – now seems to have taken a dive.  This means that the opening for my fingers is tight, even after unravelling it a bit to try and fix it. It was the same with my  OWLs jumper, so I think I am going to need to practice this a bit more, because it means that things are coming out tighter than they should.

Anyway, I finished the right mitt this morning, put the lace in and sewed in all the ends, this time making certain that they were secured much better than previously.

Today I also made a knitted caballed headband; something that I’ve been wanting to make for a while and with the rubbish weather we’ve been having it will suit perfectly. It only took about three hours to make, and only one ball of yarn, so I shall be making one for my mum and my sister [who initially bulked at the idea of it, until she saw the finished project, and saw me wearing it]. I was really pleased with this, and it was the first time that I used 1.] Super bulky yarn, and 2.] Chunky needles. I had to use my chunky DPNs for this though as I don’t think I own any chunky straight needles, or KnitPro’s… I think mine only go up to eight in KnitPro’s.

Over all it seems to have been a productive couple of days, and as mentioned I am pleased that the scarf is out of the way as it means that I can move onto the next one. I surprisingly enjoyed making it, so hopefully will enjoy making the next one.

I have spent most of the past couple of weeks feeling pretty giddy in a geeky kind of way as I haven’t really had to pay attention to a pattern, except for counting the lines. So as I have been busily knitting away I have been watching a plethora of Star Trek: The Next Generation, Voyager, Planet Earth and QI. When I realised how giddy and happy this was making my I searched for the Ravelry database for relevant geeky Star Trek related things. Jackpot! Star Trek design socks and a cowl that reads Picard’s voiceover from the beginning of the episodes added to my queue. There may be use of my Noro yarn other than socks yet!

Of course, the only downside to all this knitting and productivity is that I have neglected my reading yet again. My target for this year is 40 books, and with the new DMC Devil May Cry game out, and planning to buy at the end of Janurary, an JRPG from the studios that made Dragon Quest out in February and the new Lara Croft: Tomb Raider game out in March I need some prioritisation. Of course, for the most part my Playstation 3 is one of the most neglected bits of technology, only next to my laptop. The difference of course, is that the PS3 is a DVD/Blu Ray player, so there’s nearly always something playing in the background.

I think I’ll leave it there for now, maybe read some of “Stormfront”, listen to some Epica and chill out. And hope that my headache will go away soon as I can’t find my headache tablets.

Take care folks, and happy crafting.

Kialtho.

Advertisements