Tags

, , , , , , , , , ,

So I managed to crank out another knitting project this week! Sometimes, when you work of big projects – like I did with my Hap for Harriet – it can really amaze at how quick other projects can go. Last night I put the finishing touches on my “Iceni Mitts”. The pattern is designed by Anni Howard, and this pattern has a little history in it as well which made it even more special to make.
IMG_1935
This is one of those patterns that I’ve had for a long time. The first time I tried making them, I didn’t really understand what I was doing – which looking back seems to stupid as these are literally one of the easiest patterns I’ve ever followed. But, back then, I hadn’t long completed my first ever pair of gloves – a pattern by the same designer as these ones – but I hadn’t really tackled things like cables, or really have a greater understanding of putting things together. Now, obviously, I do have that greater understanding.

This pattern was really clever. The left and right sides mirror each other, not just in the obvious thumb area, but also because the left glove has left leaning cables and the right glove has right leaning cables. The bobbles were super easy to make as well.

It doesn’t take long to make a single glove either. I spent about 8 hours yesterday making the second one – I had the time to myself and didn’t need to be anywhere for a change, so dedicated the day to finishing the project. Even if I hadn’t have finished yesterday, they would have been done today. IMG_1924

The construction of these is also different to any other glove that I’ve made – in that we start with a cable strip, join the seems and then pick up the stitches to knit the body. For the left glove my stitch count was off by one, so when it came to splitting the cable for the thumb gusset I had two stitches one side, and four the other. I remember thinking that this was odd at the time, but it was the first one I was making so didn’t think on it too much. When it came to making the second one I realised that it should have been an even 3/3 split – but I don’t think it is noticeable and I don’t think that it’s something that I’m going to worry about.IMG_1932

[Ignore the weird bulge where by wrist is – I’m wearing my watch and my FitBit…]

That being said, there is – somewhere – a small error, I am sure, as both gloves needed to have an extra decrease before doing the cable rib to finish. I’m not sure if it’s a decrease that’s missing, or if it’s an error with the number of stitches to be picked up at the beginning. It’s not a problem as mentioned, but someone else may find it worrisome.

IMG_1927

I really love that I’ve finally made these! I used DPN’s for the first time in a long time as well – I bought myself some KnitPro Zings to replace the wooden ones. I wasn’t using DPNs because I hated the wooden ones – the cheap sort that you first buy on Amazon or eBay when you’re just starting out and want all the things but not spend all the money. I enjoyed working with the DPN’s for this – I’ll definitely be using them again in the future. They were easy to use, light and I didn’t suffer from ladders between the needles either. The yarn slipped just the right amount and I didn’t have troubles moving the needles around.

I haven’t yet decided what my next project is going to be. I’m still more or less shopping from the stash and have a lot of sock yarn to get through. I don’t really want to make a lot of socks though as I don’t tend to where my knitted socks, which sort of defeats the point in making them in the first place.

I guess I’m off to Ravelry to see what I can find!

Kialtho

Advertisements