It’s been a while since I wrote a knitting blog, but I have good reason – I haven’t gotten around to blocking what I’ve made! I seem to be fighting a never ending pile of washing, and I can’t really wash my knitted stuff before the normal clothes I wear – I think clean pants, work clothes and socks sort of come first.
So despite this fact I thought I would share some of my recent makes with you, as there are a few now!
To start with I have this cardigan – it’s called ‘From Way Back’ and the pattern is available on Ravelry. I’d been wanting to make it for a while as I really liked the back design. I also needed this project to of the winning kind as the previous few I’d made hadn’t exactly gone according plan.
Luckily, this more or less did go to plan. I had calculated that I would need 5 balls of my chosen yarn, this time a Robyn acrylic DK in a forest green colour. It took about three weeks to make in all, and once it goes through the wash it will loosen up a bit.
I also need to get some buttons to match!
The sleeves seemed to go one forever, but when I tried it on they came just above the wrist. I decided to leave them like that as I end up pulling my sleeves up to that point anyway. At this point in time I don’t know if I’ll like that as I’ve taken my choice away from doing it… if that makes sense. I’d like to make it again for sure as I really enjoyed making this, and it was a lot simpler that it looks. Especially when you look at the lace chart – but like I say – a lot easier than it looks.
Next up I made some Hermione’s Everyday socks. Again these only took a few weeks. For these I used my KnitPro Zing DPNs. I don’t usually use DPNs but it worked well for these. I initially tried to use my 9” circulars but I wasn’t finding them particularly comfortable to use – perhaps it was because I needed to purl stitches occasionally. The most comfortable I’ve found these needles to be used on was the Water for the Elephants socks… so I’m not sure why I don’t find these so great to use.
I used some yarn that I had been gifted for Christmas from my sister. It is King Cole Zigzag which is a merino/nylon blend and just worked so well for this project. I had no idea what to expect from the yarn, nor how it would knit up. I’m super happy with the results for this one, and again, they just need a wash so that I can trim the ends and get around to wearing them.
If I can knit socks as quickly as I did with these then I’ll definitely be using some more of my stash yarn up on socks. I have a blue version of the King Cole yarn to also use as well.
A cardigan, which was pretty simple to make if a little big. For this I used a left over ball of yarn that I’d got when I made the blanket for a work colleague. This used pretty much a whole ball of yarn [which surprised me as when I first started knitting I swear one ball of DK yarn lasted forever… although thinking about it… it must have been a bigger ball. I’d made a baby dress, mittens and something else out of that yarn and still had leftovers. I think I ended up donating the rest of the yarn].
And lastly, I have these little booties to share. I used some stash aran for these, and didn’t take too long to make… not really. I think I spent a great deal of time trying to find out where Artie had hidden the first one I’d made as he kept stealing my yarn! And the finished items!