So I haven’t posted about my knitting in a while. I finished a project and let it linger until I could get it blocked, I also crocheted an elephant a la Heidi Bears, then knit a jumper for Mum, and finally this evening the quickest project ever which was an ear warmer thing, which is perfect considering the bad weather that has come in over the UK this weekend. I also made a hat during this time, but I don’t want to share a photo of it as the recipient still hasn’t received it.
My first project was the Fallston shawl – which I shared the beginning of in my last knitting related blog. This was a quick knit, and was meant to be the project I took my time with as I was supposed to be resting my hands from the RSI I gave myself from making the baby blanket. Even now, some four months later, my hands do still ache and my grip strength is vast reduced compared to what it used to be. It does seem to be getting better though, for those of you who maybe wondering about it. Fallston was a good knit, I chose some stash yarn from The Uncommon Thread and GnomeAcres. The GnomeAcres was ‘Glow Cloud’ which is a variegated yarn with pinks, purples and a little brown in it. I used this for the last part as I wanted it to stand out, and didn’t necessarily want to conform to the norm with it. It worked, and once it was made I decided that it would be a gift for my boss who’s always, like always, cold. [Instagram photo as I apparently don’t have a photo of it on my computer].
Next up was the elephant. I decided to make this in the same colours as the hippo I made back in the spring, so now they’re a set! The elephant was super simple to make, and pretty easy to put together. I put some ceramic baking beads into the body to weigh it down, and tucked these into the foot I’d cut off a light pair of tights. It works, so I’m not going to complain.
Over all I was really happy with the elephant, but it took so long to finish that I was getting annoyed with having it on the hook. I used Women’s Institute soft and silky yarn [my go to yarn really], which worked quite well. This project was also supposed to be a stash buster project, but I needed more red yarn so…. I’m not sure really how much stash I actually busted.
I went to stay with my mum and dad at the beginning of November as we were having work done to our bathroom, and decided to finish a project that mum had started but wasn’t going to be able to finish due to a recent diagnosis/confirmation of osteoarthritis in her thumb joints. Knitting was hard work for her, and she wanted an owls jumper – I happily obliged. She hasn’t told me if it fits yet though!
Lastly it was the chunky ear warmer. I’ve made this pattern a few times, but for some reason the pattern had disappeared from my Ravelry library. I’m going to be honest here and say I used the wayback machine to get the pattern. It’s a simple pattern, and a quick knit at that.