Sometimes it amazes me how long – or little – time can be given to a project. My Fade shawl took me 3 months or so from beginning to end – and admittedly there was a huge heatwave during that time, but I don’t remember taking much of a break from the knitting. Since then I have completed two more projects – one that I wrote about in my previous blog (the baby berry hat), and this one, the Watermelon Baby Cardigan. I know that they are baby knits, and as such don’t take quite so long to make, but it’s still nice to have completed a couple of projects in a short amount of time.
This whole year has been a bit of a strange one in terms of my knitting anyway – from the funk that I was in at the beginning of the year that seemed to take me a long time to recover from, which seems silly now that I am looking back on it. I needed some good wins this year, and I definitely feel that I have got them. One of them is this cute cardigan because I wasn’t sure how it was going to go when I first cast it on.
The pattern is available for free on Ravelry, which is even better especially as it really is just a cute little knit.
I think it only took about two or three days to knit, of a few hours each day. I choose yarn from my stash which was cool as I thought I was going to need to buy some more yarn for it. I was originally going to use some sparkly yarn like I did for the little hat, but when I saw I had stash colours, especially all the same yarn brand as well, I went for them. I am really glad that I did as I love the outcome. The yarn is the Women’s Institute yarn from Hobbycraft (surprise surprise, this is my more or less go to yarn at the moment), and I know that I’ve used this before but the stitch definition is just wonderful. I distracted myself as I was knitting away by how nicely the stitches were coming out.
I have bought some cute Hello Kitty buttons to go on this as well, but my needles appear to be too big… I’m going to have to dig out some of the sewing needles that I’ve used for either actual sewing/the sewing machine or the cross stitch ones. I think even the cross stitch sewing needles are still going to be too big! I should have perhaps thought that part through!
I think my only concern with this one is that I haven’t made the arms loose enough, but hopefully it should be okay for a small while!
All I need to do now is get my butt in gear and get the few items that I want to send ready so that I can send my knits across the Atlantic to their new home.
As I type that I can safely say that I have made a good start on the next project too. I agreed to make a family member a black cardigan and they gave me some really awesome hand made stuff, including handmade, hand turned wooden bowls and a hand made pen! I am one and a half sleeves into this project, and my tension is completely off but I’ve totally (I think) compensated for that fact by changing what size I am going to make. I’d post a picture of it so far… but it’s just black! I’ll write about the whole thing, and have photos, when it’s complete. The first sleeve took about 2 days to make, so hopefully the second sleeve won’t take so long either.