I started writing a blog about a project I finished last week – one that I have been working on for about a month or so (probably a bit longer if I am honest) but then I got a few lines in and realised that I hadn’t written about my other big project of the year so far – which I don’t exactly have many photos of, and technically it’s not finished either.
I have (mostly) completed a Ginny’s cardigan. It was a good make and didn’t take me as long as I expected considering a lot of other projects listed on Ravelry suggested that it was an uber long make, and that it was going to be really difficult too.
I started on a sleeve as I used this as my gauge swatch. I decided early on to make it a size bigger than I originally planned due to my tension. I also used some Stylecraft Special DK which has sort of become my go to acrylic as it is slightly hardier than my previous go to yarn. I used a stonewash colour – I think it was called waterfall or something similar.
It was a pretty straight forward pattern to follow, and overall, I enjoyed making it. The sleeves are a little on the tight side though, so if I was to make it again, I would probably go up another size for these. I need to find some good buttons and give it a steam before I can get a goof photo of it. For the time being I’ve put in the wardrobe until I can get hold of some decent buttons. I’m not sure what I am looking for in a button, but I know that I don’t have it at home.
The next thing I have made is a Virus Shawl. This has been on my radar for some time, in fact I made one a few years back, but I wasn’t completely satisfied with that one. I had two cakes of gradient yarn (same colourway) in my stash that I thought would be perfect for this. They were both 200g each, so plenty to be working with. What I didn’t really account for is that this was going to go on and on and on and become absolutely massive. In the end I had probably about 50g left across the two cakes. It will certainly keep me nice and toasty warm that’s for sure. It’s big enough to be a blanket nearly. Whilst I was making this, I got my sister making a version for herself, and then mum got in a started making one too – which is pretty cool if you think about it.
I have also spent a small amount of time with my sewing machine and have made a few fabric face masks. There is a lack of elastic at the moment so I had to settle for using ribbons. This was one of the first ones I made. I have made a set for my brothers work, and then also some for some friends and family. Now that I have actually managed to get hold of some elastic though I want to try a different pattern – (one of those with the folds in). I have enough fabric for the time being to keep playing around with this sort of stuff. It has made me realise that I would very much like to try my hand at some proper sewing when I can go and browse the sewing shops and get some fabric without having to rely on online photo’s and descriptions.
So that’s it for now. I’m working on a very small project that is taking forever for me to finish. It really should have been done in one sitting really! And then after that I am not sure what I am going to make.
I made the decision to almost completely clear my Ravelry queue the other day so I am more or less starting from a blank there. (It was one of those ‘clearing the junk’ things that I felt was necessary as I was starting to feel pressured to only ‘shop’ from my queue rather than finding something that I would absolutely enjoy. I think this is one of the reasons my knitting mojo took a dive last year).
That’s all for now folks, keep safe and socially distant!