When I used to finish knitting projects I used to come straight here to my blog to post about them. For some reason just lately, perhaps the last year or so, I haven’t done that. I am not sure why this is, whether it is apathy towards my final projects, or whether I’ve fallen out of love of writing about those projects I don’t know. I quite often feel like my projects don’t measure to others; I know I shouldn’t compare my work to others as it is unique and my own, but I see these stunning finished items and then I see mine. Photography is half the battle I am sure, but there’s just something about it. I still love knitting, and I still regularly share my work with the Instagram filled world, but outside of that I don’t really share about it except in big, garbled blogs like this one. I feel like I’ve lost my ability to write in a coherent and half decent way that gets my thoughts and feelings about my projects across.
With this in mind I think I’ll talk about my most recent knitting project, which to be honest was finished some time ago… like end of August. The patten is called ‘Wish and Hope’. When I downloaded the pattern is was free, but it is now a paid for pattern. As it was free the mistakes that were made in the original publication weren’t updated or corrected for my pattern – the updated version also included a chart for the leaf and vine section wish would have definitely helped me more in keeping that section in my head better… what can I say, I am a ‘charted’ girl.
The yarn used was West Yorkshire Spinners ‘Signature 4ply’ in ‘Delphinium’ colour way. I knew I was going to be tight on yarn when I cast on, but as I was making I had convinced myself that I would have enough, however it became apparent at whilst making the first arm that I wouldn’t, so I drove to the John Lewis I got the yarn from originally only to find that they had delisted it! (I think there was the seasonal move from 4ply/DK into Aran/Chunky going on thinking about it). I had to place an order online to get my second ball to me… which I think still has a good 80g left, if not more.
I made this for my niece. My (twin) sister has the most adorable little girl, who, shockingly, is nearly two years old now. I made her a blanket some time back that was kind of my piece d’resistance, which even now still causes me some pains in my hands (making that blanket gave me repetitive strain in my fingers and wrists). My sister put my niece in it almost straight away which is one of those things that makes your heart soar. I would share a photo, but considering this is a public blog I will not.
Would I make this again? I don’t know, it’s hard to say. I don’t know whether this was a first draft of the pattern, or just missed some proofing and editing along the way but there were enough errors that I had to stop and think about what I was doing rather than enjoying the process of the knitting. Ultimately, I love the outcome, the design and the fluid, feminine nature of the piece. I would have to think hard about making this pattern again.
Whilst I’ve been away from the blog I also made an Aviator’s hat. God knows why, I don’t wear the one my sister got me for Christmas a few years ago, let alone making one. I did enjoy the process though, and used Malabrigo Rios which I had never used before and thought an absolute delight. Got some furry ‘Chinchilla’ yarn which is so surprisingly soft to line the ears and make the flap. It worked out alright in the end, but we will see whether I will end up wearing it.
I currently have two projects on the needles at the moment. This is unusual for me as I only tend to work on one project at any one time. The first project, of which the main body is completed, is another OWLs jumper. I started this as I didn’t know what to make and felt like I was at a loose end. It’s a stash buster project that is using some Hayfield Bonus Aran with Wool. I’m not too convinced that this version is going to fit me as nicely as the previous one I made, but I plan to finish it nonetheless. The second project is a Tree of Life Afghan, a project I have admired and been a little wary of from afar. Contradictory terms, I know, however, I have seen people struggling with it on Ravelry… but thought it perfect for a baby blanket of the heirloom variety. We will see how it goes in the long run. I have 18 rows of the first chart left to complete and I am enjoying how it is looking so far. A part of me wants to change the tulip pattern in that section, but I am not sure where to find the stitches/patterns I need for it. I’ve got time to decide at least, so will have to see how that goes.
Sorry for the meandering post. It’s been sitting waiting to be finished in Pages for about 2 weeks (actually, it maybe longer). I seem to be struggling with my motivation with everything, knitting, writing, reading and whatnot at the moment. Hopefully I have regained my mojo, but only time will see whether that’s been the case.
All the best for the now,